Mmmm..Chicken Caesar Salad. You can take the girl outta Orange County, but don’t dare take away her favorite salad! We moved out of OC a couple years back and I missed my favorite takeout so much I re-created it, but in a much healthier way! Chicken Dijon delivered to my office and home so often the delivery guy knew me, I am not joking!
I took their most popular salad and toned down the fat, using some smart swaps so you can enjoy dessert afterwards. I do have to acknowledge again my favorite cookbook Pretty Delicious, as I ripped off the Caesar dressing for this recipe. Don’t let the length of this recipe scare you off, it is so easy and takes about 30 minutes.
This is a great way to use the rest of your Baked Chicken.
Makes 4 servings of Chicken Caesar Salad with Rice
- ¼ cup Orzo (it is in the pasta section, looks like rice)
- ¼ cup brown Basmati rice
- 1 ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 scallion finely chopped (just the white and light green part)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp sliced or slivered almonds
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 romaine lettuce hearts
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- ½ tbsp sea salt
- ½ cup 0% Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (your good stuff)
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove shredded- use your cheese grater
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium sauce pan get the chicken broth boiling, then add the orzo, rice, scallions, garlic and turmeric. Bring back to a boil then take back down to low heat and cover, leave alone until all the liquid is absorbed (you can slightly tip the pan to check) when it is done set aside to cool slightly.
- While the rice is doing its thing let’s grill up the chicken, brush the chicken with ½ the oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a ridged pan on medium, pour the rest of the oil in and let it get a little warm before you move the pan around to get it all coated (you may need to add more, but use sparingly 120 calories per tbsp!) toss on your chickie and listen to the sizzle, you will need 8-10 min per side. Move to a plate to cool, then shred it.
- Slice the bread for the croutons, make them small you want lots! Put in a medium bowl and drizzle the oil over, then the garlic powder and the salt and mix. Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet w/ cooking spray and spread out the croutons. Bake in oven for 5-8 minutes.
- Time for the romaine hearts, just cut off the bottom and thinly slice them, toss in large bowl. By now the rice should be slightly cooled and you can toss it in along with the chicken.
Best part, dressing. Just put all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until all combined, stop for a second and taste it! This is where a lot of people go wrong on cooking, always taste it!
Pour dressing into bowl, toss, top with croutons and maybe a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese and try not to insert your entire face in the bowl…. will power!
Can I just say WOW! This meal is REALLY good for you, it is packed full of lean protein from both the chicken and the yogurt, vitamin C from the lemon juice the scallions and romaine, fiber from the rice and the bread. Plus calcium, vitamins D, E and B6.